If someone is in immediate danger call 999. If you have concerns about sexual exploitation, you can call the local police on 101.

If you want to anonymously discuss concerns about grooming, sexual or criminal exploitation you can speak to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, share information via Fearless or call Childline on 0800 111.

Alternatively, you could speak with a trusted adult such as a parent, grandparent, carer, teacher, youth, health or social worker, and you can use this website to work out the next steps to take together.

Whatever your concerns, help is available.

Reporting concerns and accessing help

Humberside Police – If you have concerns about someone’s wellbeing, please report to the police on 101 or dial 999 if it’s an emergency.

CEOP – If you’re worried about online abuse or the way someone has been communicating online, if you have been a victim or are worried this is happening to someone you know, this can be reported safely and securely to CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) through their experienced Child Protection Advisors.

Crimestoppers – reports can be made anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Childline – if you have any worries about a child or young person. Call free on 0800 1111, or have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email via their website at www.childline.org.uk any time of the day or night.

NSPCC – 24/7 line for for adults and young people to express concerns they may have in relation to child sexual exploitation (CSE), 0800 389 1701

NSPCC – 24/7 adult helpline covering all child protection issues, 0808 800 5000

Victim Support – a service funded by the Humberside Police and Crime Commissioner and the South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner, the Victim Support service provides help for anyone affected by crime, not only those who experience it directly, but also their friends, family and any other people involved. You can contact the service for support across Humberside and South Yorkshire, regardless of when the crime happened or if it has been reported to the police.

Fearless.org – Fearless is a site where you can access non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality. What makes this site different is we also provide you with a safe place to give information to us about crime – 100% anonymously.

Further support

Kooth – An app for young people to access to online counselling and advice on emotional wellbeing.

Life Central – central local resource for information and advice about emotional wellbeing

Relationship Matters – a partnership between 15 Councils across Yorkshire and the Humber Region helping families who may be having relationship difficulties.

Net Aware – The NSPCC and O2 have reviewed apps, games and social media sites that young people use and provided safety ratings and tips.

Send me a pic? – a Thinkuknow education resource on the consensual and non-consensual sharing of nude images among young people. (Resource pack available with three sessions plans based on short film clips. Each clip shows a fictional online chat where young people request, receive and discuss issues related to nude images.)

For parents/carers

PACE Parents against child exploitation – works alongside parents and carers of children who are – or are at risk of being – exploited by perpetrators external to the family and offer guidance and training to professionals on how child exploitation affects the whole family.

Parent Info – a collaboration between CEOP and Parent Zone. Parent Info provides high quality information to parents and carers about their children’s wellbeing and resilience and utilises research and advice from a range of experts.

Thinkuknow – aims to ensure that everyone has access to practical information about sexual abuse and sexual exploitation and is an education programme from the National Crime Agency’s CEOP Command. Advice for parents on abuse and exploitation and also online behaviour.

Safeguarding across Humberside

Below are the links to the Safeguarding Partnerships in place across Humberside. Each offer local specific support and help about the systems in place and how to report concerns.

North Lincolnshire Children’s Multi Agency Resilience and Safeguarding Board (CMARS) – brings together safeguarding partner organisations to oversee, innovate and develop the Children’s MARS arrangements and seek assurance regarding the standard of local implementation across the safeguarding system and to ensure children, young people and families are resilient and safeguarded. The lead representatives are North Lincolnshire Council, North Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group and Humberside Police.

North East Lincolnshire Safeguarding Children Partnership (NELSCP) – Humberside Police, NHS North East Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group and North East Lincolnshire Council have a shared equal responsibility for safeguarding and work in partnership to ensure safeguarding arrangements are proactive, robust, effective and clear.

Hull Safeguarding Children Partnership – a multi-agency forum led by the three statutory partners (Local Authority-Hull City Council, Hull Clinical Commissioning Group and Humberside Police), for ensuring that different services co-operate to protect children and young people in Hull.

East Riding Safeguarding Children Partnership – oversee and co-ordinate all of work undertaken within the East Riding to keep children safe. It is a partnership between the East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Humberside Police and the East Riding of Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group working alongside other relevant agencies.

What happens when…

When you call 101, the system will determine your location and connect you to the police force covering that area. You will hear a recorded message informing you that you’re being connected and then you will be given a choice of which force to be connected to. Calls to 101 are answered by police officers and staff in the control room of the local police force.

If you are calling from out of the Force area, there is an option to be transferred to another Force.

You should only call 101 to report a crime or report concerns that do not need an emergency response. Emergencies should always be 999.

101 calls used to be chargeable at a flat rate of 15p per call. However, since 1 April 2020, it is now free to call 101.

When you ring 999, the operator will ask you which emergency service you require and the number you are calling from. When the operator transfers your call to Humberside Police they will inform the Call taker of the telephone number you are calling from. The Call taker will ask you the location of the emergency and what the emergency is. They will then take your details.

This process may take time but it is very important to get the correct information from you to make sure your call is handled appropriately whilst protecting the safety of the public and our Officers. The call taker will ‘control’ the call so that the appropriate information is gained as quickly as possible.